Friday, April 18, 2008

16 hours old!

And he couldn't be more precious!

First, let me just say, thank you, thank you for all the kind words, for everyone that came up here, and for all the lovely text messages and prayers. Lord knows we needed them. Well, at least I did. My son was a champ from the get go!

Yesterday, my water was broken at around 7:30 am (and can I just tell you that is the weirdest feeling) and I was given pitocin.

I progressed normally (in terms of dialation and thinning) and by 5pm we were almost ready to push.

I couldn't believe it was that easy up to that point. I mean, when they broke my water, I was having serious contractions, and when I got up to 2 cm's, I huffed and puffed and screamed nicely asked for an epidural. I did, however, before going through with it, ask and discuss my options. I was quite concerned with having a negative reaction to a drug called phentinol because I was a hypoglycemic, but the wonderful anesthesiologist assured me that nothing would go wrong. I did tell her, I always seem to be the crazy 1%, and she just smiled and said, I will keep that in mind!

So, with epidural on board, on my labor progressed. It was a lot of pressure in my pelvic bone but NOTHING I couldn't handle.

So at 5:30pm I started pushing. And I, apparently, pushed so hard that I was told to stop and we had to wait for the doctor. It was not a big deal, I had my rosary in hand and I was breeeeaaathing. Then, once the doc rushed in the room, I gave 2 big pushes and poof. There was my little man! It only took half and hour and I had an 8lb beautiful baby boy.

Unfortunately, once Brady was being cleaned up and Daddy was cutting the cord, there were some complications. The next thing I knew, there were what seemed like 50 people in the room and everyone was yelling at me. Apparently, my cervix had torn quite a bit and I was bleeding pretty badly. They had to give me another epidural and they tried to start another IV in my other hand, so that I could be given blood. However, the RN couldn't get the other hand IV in and I was still bleeding out. People were screaming and apparently my lips were turning blue.

To be honest, I don't remember much at that point. All I remember was shaking uncontrollably, someone telling me I had a fever, and that my lips had turned blue. Not to mention I had my OB pounding on my stomach and the RN STILL trying to push in the hand IV. I guess they were trying to stop the bleeding and deliver the placenta.

Finally, after 4 hours, my fever broke, and people were able to see through the nursery glass window our little bundle of joy.

As of now, I have quite a few stiches (down there), I am very weak, and I have to take a good amount of iron, because of all the blood loss.

Other than that, my baby is an absolute champ. I tried to nurse last night (about 2 hours after he was born) and he was like a fish to water. He did awesome! He has nursed 3 times this evening and morning and we are ready to go again.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and please keep me in your prayers.


Sarah said...

I am so happy to hear you are doing alright now. I will still keep you in my thoughts. Brady is beautiful and you did a very good job!

Nanette said...

OMG! OMG! OMG! That's like something out of a medical drama! I'm glad you're ok!

Kelli said...

You did it! That story brought tears to my eyes... now I CAN'T WAIT for my turn!!

Hoorah for you and your family, I'm so happy for you!
Awesome job with the breast feeding too- you're such a good momma already!

Katelin said...

oh andrea that is so scary! so glad to hear that you are doing better and little brady is fine. i'll keep you in my prayers!

Lindsay said...

GREAT job Andrea!
I am so proud of you...
to the 3 of you guys!
How is Matt, is he over the trauma yet? I bet he was a wonderfully strong hubby and dada!

rachel elizabeth said...

oh andrea! never a drama free moment! i'm glad you're okay now and i'm glad brady is doing so well! xo

Anonymous said...

That was scary to read!! Glad you're OK!

Ashley said...

Oh sweetie i'm so glad you're ok, how scary. But you are safe and baby Brady is such a champ already. I can't wait to see pictures of the little dude! I'm sure hes a stunner!

Anonymous said...

omg, those complications sound scary!! so glad you're ok, and that brady is a trooper! heehee

I hope it's ok that i borrowed a pic of brady in a congratulations post to you (it's linked back to you, of course) but if you'd like I can also just take it down - let me know!!

I'm so excited for you and your new family! :D xoxoxo