Sunday, March 2, 2008

Cat Saga... Part Deux!

So as you all know by now, my cat, Sammy, has a wild streak! Apparently being wild for 2 years, previous to being "captive" has not really every gotten out of his system!

Yesterday, after the cat rescue I thought things would go back to normal. It was about 80 degrees yesterday, so hubs headed outside to see where our darling cat had escaped.

He boarded up some of the loose boards in our fence and made sure no other options were open for our very curious cat to break through.

*You see, we have a dog door (for our chihuahua) and we have to let him use it while we are away. So, yesterday we head to a baby shower and let the dog and cat roam free, thinking there isn't a way he can get out.

How wrong we were!

Apparently Mr Sneaky got out again. When we returned home from dinner, he was no where to be found. We called his name, again put out Tuna and dirty laundry and... waited.

This time I wasn't as upset, simply because I figured, maybe he doesn't like being able to sleep all day on wonderful couches, or eat whenever he pleases. Maybe he isn't too fond of us as parents?? Really, there was nothing i could do. He was getting out somehow and wasn't returning.

I went to bed sad, but with hope that one day he would return. Hubs, on the other hand, stayed up until 12 midnight walking in and out of the house, calling his name and wishing he would return.

When I woke up at 8am, Hubs was not in bed and the cat was still not home. I had little hope. Hubs said he had been up since 5:30am checking outside and peering out windows.

Then.... we hear a meow. A Very LOUD meow. I ran outside, called his name, and there he was meowing up a storm. Only... he was in our neighbors backyard, yet again! With no way to get into our yard. I was so frusterated at this point I didn't know what to do.

He was obviously safe and enjoyed his night on the prowl and now that it was morning he was ready to lounge with the other animals and eat. Hubs ran around to the neighbors gate, called his name, and he came running... like it was no big deal.

At this point... I really dont' know what to do? I am so frusterated with this little guy, I just can't stand it.

I have to keep the dog door open (for Mochachino) and I have no idea how he is getting out.

Hubs has gone to Home Depot to get some plastic pricky things so he can't jump on anything and then leap the fence and I have resorted to manually opening the door when Mochachino has to pee. This, however, is a very short term solution. I am headed to church today and I am going to have to let door open.

Do you all have any advice?? Obviously he isn't getting hurt, and he is savvy enough not to get run over or killed, but it just worries me. He is de-clawed and has a bell (and colar) around his neck. How would you stop Mr Sneaky from getting out? Or should I just let him roam and rescue him when he cries?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem! I found my cat as a stray, she was about 1-2 years old. well at my old house she would roam outside for hours, and i wasnt too worried bc we have a big back yard and she would just sit outside....but now we moved and we have a smaller yard, so i am scared of her going outside, because i KNOW she will not stay in the yard...and she too lost her collar recently on one of her adventures...i know most people wouldnt go through the trouble for a cat, but i got her microchipped and she didnt seem bothered one bit, and it was like $60, so that may ease your mind a little bit.

Andréa said...

Kristen: Thanks for the advice. He actually IS microchipped and I SO grateful for it too!