Thursday, February 7, 2008

Pre-Term Panic!!

Yesterday was a normal day. I woke up, worked a little, had lunch with one of my best friends and her adorable baby, Gayson!! Then, we went to Babies R Us to go match the wall color to the bedding when I felt the twinge of pain.

I really didn't think anything of it. I knew Braxton Hicks were very common at this stage in pregnancy, so I pretty much just went about my day. I went to the store, came home and was wrapping a present when I realized, maybe there was something more to this?

Hubs was, of course, not here, and no where close, so I called my dad. I told him the situation (that I was having Braxton hicks for 4 hours) and he told me to call the doc ASAP. That that was not something normal and I needed to let the doc know. Hmmm, I thought. Ok that is a little scary.

As I got on the phone with the nurse she asked me some normal questions
What did it feel like? How long? And how far apart are they? Well, I hadn't been timing them because I really thought it was nothing. So after her "analysis" she told me I had to head to the hospital. At this point, I really started freaking out. Was I going to have to drive myself? Oh My God, is Brady ok? Aaaahhhh!

I called my dad back and he said he would meet me there, he was a good hour away with traffic. Then I called my friends and luckily Michelle talked me down from my hysteria! I drove to the hospital and arrived in Labor and Delivery.

As they walked me back there, all I could feel was this tightening pain, and now it was coming sooner and sooner. I was such an emotional wreck, because hubs couldn't hold my hand, I just started crying the moment the nurse took me into the room. I have to say between friends showing up, my dad being there, and the AMAZING nurses to calm me down, things seemed to be getting better. Unfortunately, the monitor was telling them I was having contractions every 2 minutes.

They did a pee test, a heart rate test and a Q-tip test. All of the tests were negative. I was not dialated, I was not dehydrated (a common problem with women in Texas - although it normally occurs when it is hot outside- yesterday was 45 degrees) and everything looked normal, I was just having contractions.

After sitting there for a good hour, the nurse came back in and said the contractions were down to 10 - 12 min and it looked like they were stopping. They discharged me and my dad and baby bro all went out to dinner. During dinner, however, they didn't stop. They were coming every 3-5 min. My dad said, we had to head back to the hospital.

I was re-admitted late last night and they said they wanted to observe me overnight. I got hooked up to all the monitors again and after watching contractions, they decided to give me a shot that would stop them. That shot sucked! It made me feel shaky and antzy. It was 12:30 am and there was no way I was going to be able to sleep with that stuff, so the nurse asked if she could give me some ambien. I told her the smallest dose and ONLY if baby was not going to be affected. She assured me he would be fine, and I took the pill.

I got about 4 hours of sleep before my OB arrived to let me know, it was just Braxton Hicks and that we have "at least" 2 weeks before my man arrives. If that was supposed to make me feel better, it sure didn't. I have at least 7 weeks before I am full term. Anyway, he told me to stay off my feet and pretty much be on bed rest today and to take it easy.

As of right now they think it was Braxton Hicks, but they don't know. The main thing is Brady is fine and I am not dialated.

Thanks for all the prayers. Brady and I could sure use 'em!


Ashley said...

I'm glad everything is okay. That must have been really scary. I'll be sure to keep you and little Brady in my thoughts and prayers.

Katelin said...

Oh sheesh I can only imagine how scary that was. Glad you and the baby are okay. :)

Larissa said...

That is so scary. I'll be sending peaceful prayers your way!

Julie Q said...

aww you and Brady are going to be absolutely perfect! And OMG its coming up!!!!!!!! i'm so excited (and i'm ssssssure you are too ;)

what is braxton hicks? sounds like a football player

Nanette said...

Oh, wow! I'm glad you're both ok!

Tina Vaziri said...

Oh that is scary, I'm so glad you are OK!

Alexa said...

The same thing happened to me at 30 weeks! I was in the hospital for about 5 hours and they gave me two of those shots to stop the contractions (they do suck and make you shake like a leaf). I have had them frequently ever since, but you just have to know to sit down and relax and drink a TON of water (does not help the small bladder situation at all, lol). Glad all is well!