Saturday, December 1, 2007

A Day of Reflection...




Well, today is December 1st, and it happens to be one of those bittersweet days on my calendar. Today is my grandfather's birthday. He died back in Aug of 2001 (5 days before 9-11 and being from NY, I thank God every day he did not witness that horror.) I remember celebrating his 50th wedding anniversary back in July of that year. It was so much fun to see what a young couple my grandparents were. Vibrant, Italian immigrants, trying to make a life with 2 young kids.

One month later, I was sitting on a plane flying to say goodbye. My grandfather had had another heart attack, and this one was the last one. As I flew to say goodbye to one of my best friends, I just remember thinking. My life is never going to be the same.

When we arrived, I wasn't ready for my father (who rarely shows emotion) to be standing there, eyes red with wiped away tears. I also, wasn't prepared for my brilliant, loving poppy to be sitting there with tubes in every hole and swollen from the dialasis. After I calmed myself down, I sat there, holding his hand a whispering how much I loved him!
I know that he isn't here physically, but I truly feel, he has never missed a special event. I know he was at my wedding, dancing with my grandmother. I know he was there in my hospital holding my hand, and I know he will be there in April when my first baby is born! I never celebrate his death, but I always thank God for him on his birthday. He was such a special person in my life. He was one of those people that if you called him on the phone, he would instantly light up your day! Although, we lived 1,900 miles away, most of my life, he was never too far. Today, I miss my "poppy" but I know he is thinking about me and smiling wherever he is!

On a much happier note... my best friends little girl, Grace, turned 1 yesterday, and today is her beautiful 1st birthday party. Hubs and I are headed there with a peek-a-boo toy in hand (one of her personal favorites!)

So I have to think, on this day of reflection, that today is a day of celebration and thanks. As one life begins, one life is remembered. Wishing you all a very happy Dec 1!

8 comments:

Julie Q said...

Awww have fun at the birthday party

Lorelei said...

What a beautiful celebration of love you have written. I felt the same way about my grandmother. She died in 1993 and I still miss her every day. Her birthday is Dec. 3. She would be 95 this year.

Michelle and the City said...

it is definitely great to celebrate the memories. :)

Andréa said...

JulieQ: The birthday party was awesome! You should have seen that little girl with her cake. priceless!

Lorelei: Thanks!

Michelle: Absolutely

Nanette said...

Such a lovely post. I feel the same way on my dad's birthday on May 1.

Valley Girl said...

*hugs*

Eyes As Windows said...

It was a beautiful memoir to your grandfather, and I am touched even though I didn't know him. Keep remembering those special moments and live with them forever, and so will he.

XO to all our special ones

Katelin said...

It's definitely special to celebrate the memories and the times together rather than the actual loss of someone.

And hopefully the birthday party was happy event to keep your spirits up :)